The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 10/7/96 at 4:34:52
From: Daniel Johansson
Subject: Number to a Power


What do you call it when you have a number raised to a number, like...


   Daniel Johansson

Date: 10/17/96 at 11:36:10
From: Doctor Jack
Subject: Re: Number to a Power

You have asked a really interesting question.  The name for the
function you are asking about is called the "power" function.  Your


would be read as "2 to the power 3", and more generally, the 


would be read as "x to the power y".  

If y is a whole number like 3, then calculating x to the power y is 
done by multiplying x by itself y times.  

The power function calculation gets more interesting if y is not a 
whole number.  For example

        1/3                                           3
   w = 2     is defined to be the number satisfying  w  = 2.

Using a calculator, you will find that w is approximately  1.25992.

-Doctor Jack,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Exponents

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.