Radians

Date: 9/2/96 at 22:52:58
From: Mohd Nasir Mahmud
Subject: Radians

Dear Sir,

Could you tell me why pi radians = 180 degrees?

Date: 10/24/96 at 16:5:50
From: Doctor Jaime

This is an immediate consequence of the definition of radians and
degrees.  In fact 1 radian is defined as the central angle subtended
by the arc of length 1 on a unit circle.  1 degree is the central
angle subtended by (1/360)th of the circumference of a unit  circle.

This measure dates back to the Babylonians, who used a base 60
number system. Since the circumference of the unit circle is 2 Pi,
it follows that there are 2 Pi radians in 360 degrees, or
Pi radians = 180 degrees.

-Doctor Jaime,  The Math Forum

Middle School Pi