More Digits of Pi

Date: 9/7/96 at 20:55:13
From: Anonymous
Subject: More Digits of Pi

Dear Dr. Math,

Could you please tell me the biggest form of pi that you know
of?  I've tried to see how far it goes on the Windows Calculator and
this is all I got:

   3.14159265358979320526123046875

Thanks!
   Joe Snyder

Date: 9/8/96 at 0:2:0
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: More Digits of Pi

Hi Joe -

A recent addition to our archive is the Pi entry in the Dr. Math FAQ:

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/

You'll find "A mere 50000 Digits of the Famous Transcendental" at

  http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~roy/upi/pi.50000.html

a page that (understandably) has at the top a link that says "(Take me
away from here)" which goes to the home page of the author, Roy
Williams.  To read more about pi, take a look at

  http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~roy/upi/pi.html

or really spend some time browsing the Yahoo Pi Page Index, a searchable
collection of WWW pages having to do with Pi:

  http://www.yahoo.com/Science/Mathematics/Numbers/PI/

How can you find all this?  Go to any page of the Math Forum:

  http://mathforum.org/

and look in the lower righthand corner.  Choose the link to SEARCH and
then type  pi  (I actually typed  "pi page" because I knew there was
such a thing) and you'll get back a lot of sites to choose from to
browse.

It can be fun to look around the Math Forum for all kinds of good
stuff, but if you get lost you can always come back here to Dr. Math
and ask us.  :-)

-Doctor Sarah,  The Math Forum

Middle School Pi