Median: Average of Two Points

Date: 8/24/96 at 10:52:47
From: Anonymous
Subject: Median

What is the median of several numbers?

Date: 8/30/96 at 13:45:16
From: Doctor Jerry
Subject: Re: Median

From a statistics book open in front of me, I read

The median of a set of data is the data point in the middle of the
list (arranged in order) if the list has an odd number of entries and
is the average of the two in the middle if the list has an even number
of entries.

For example, here are some weights of persons:

  98, 104, 110, 118, 125, 140, 175

The median is 118 since it is the middle point.  If the weights were

  98, 104, 110, 118, 125, 140, 175, 201

then the median would be (118+125)/2 = 121.5.

-Doctor Jerry,  The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions
Middle School Statistics