What is the Difference between a Metric and a Standard Ton?

Date: 28 Mar 1995 18:30:42 -0500
From: Anonymous
Subject: What is the difference...

What is the difference between a metric ton and a standard ton?

Date: 29 Mar 1995 14:00:29 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: What is the difference...

Hello there!

Well, I looked this up in a pocket dictionary.  It says that there are
two kinds of non-metric tons, the short ton and the long ton.  The short
ton is the one most people think about.  It's 2000 pounds.  The long ton
is 2240 pounds.  One short ton is listed as equal to 0.907 metric tons,
so we have  2000 lbs = 0.907 metric tons, so 2205 lbs = 1 metric ton.

So it goes

1 short ton = 2000 pounds
1 metric ton = 2205 pounds
1 long ton = 2240 pounds.

By the way, a metric ton is defined as 1000 kilograms.  So it's just a
convenient name for a megagram.

Hope this helps.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics: