Converting English Stones into Pounds

Date: 9/27/95 at 7:40:33
From: "Simon"
Subject:       question

Could you please tell me what 13 stones (English weight
measurement) equates to in pounds ?

Thanks very much !

Simon Davis

Date: 9/27/95 at 11:55:14
From: Doctor Andrew
Subject: Re: question

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

14. a. A measure of weight, usually equal to 14 pounds avoirdupois
(18 of a hundredweight, or half a quarter), but varying with
different commodities from 8 to 24 pounds.  The stone of 14 lb. is the
common unit used in stating the weight of a man or large animal.
(Collective pl. usually stone.)

-Doctor Andrew,  The Geometry Forum