The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

A Definition of Clinometer

Date: 12/10/95 at 12:6:19
From: Anonymous
Subject: Geometry terms

We've been surfing the net to find a definition for the following term 
and have been unsuccessful.  Can you help?  Clinometer.

Date: 12/10/95 at 18:14:14
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Geometry terms

Hello -

Here's what Webster's Dictionary (2nd edition, unabridged) has to say:


Any of various instruments for measuring or indicating angles of slope, 
elevation, or inclination, as: the dip of beds or strata (Geol.), the 
slope of an embankment or cutting (Surv.), the angle of elevation of a 
rifle or gun, the inclination or roll of a ship,... the departure 
from the level of sills or other horizontal framing timbers (Carp.), the 
inclination of the human profile, the inclinations of the vertical 
meridian of the cornea, etc.

clino- is a combining form from the Greek, in this sense 'to incline'.

- Doctor Sarah,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.