The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Name of Fraction Bar

Date: 7/5/96 at 13:59:28
From: Anonymous
Subject: Fraction Terminology (Bar)

What is the correct term for the line that separates the numerator and 
denominator of a fraction?

Date: 8/2/96 at 20:56:55
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Fraction Terminology (Bar)

Hi there!  Here's what Dr. Mike says:
   The character "/" that is used for writing fractions all in
   one line, like  7/8 , is sometimes called Solidus or Virgule.
   The horizontal line separating the numerator and denominator 
   when it is written the other way is called a Vinculum.

Is this what you were looking for?  If you find any more information, 
please send it to us; many people are curious about the name of the 
fraction bar!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.