Origin of the Word 'Yard'

Date: 9/12/96 at 11:57:39
From: Tracy S. Jung
Subject: Origin of Word 'Yard'

Dr. Math,

Why do they call a yard, a yard?  Where does this originate?
I'm curious but stumped.

Thanks,
    Tracy Jung

Date: 9/12/96 at 12:58:12
From: Doctor Tom
Subject: Re: Origin of Word 'Yard'

Hi Tracy,

My dictionary says it comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "gierd" or
"gyrd", meaning rod, or measure.

To answer questions like this, your best bet is a good etymological
dictionary; common sense is usually almost useless!

-Doctor Tom,  The Math Forum

Date: 9/13/96 at 0:3:55
From: TRACY SUZANNE JUNG

Yes, that is what I thought, thank you. BUT then why is a lawn also
called a YARD?

Tracy

Date: 9/13/96 at 13:29:49
From: Doctor Tom

Well, my dictionary says "yard", meaning the stuff in front of
your house, comes from the Anglo Saxon "geard", a different word.
Unfortunately, I can't tell what it means in Anglo-Saxon.  I'd
guess something like "enclosure".

Just because two words sound alike, it's very dangerous to assume
they have the same root or meaning.  Sometimes they do, but you've
got to be careful.

-Doctor Tom,  The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions