The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 07/23/97 at 16:04:17
From: Brian Ferri
Subject: Definition of the word "Subtends"

Please give me the definition of the word, "Subtends."  This is not in 
your on-line math dictionary.  

Thank you.

Date: 07/23/97 at 19:40:09
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: definition of the word "Subtends"

If you think of the side opposite say angle A in a triangle, then that 
side 'SUBTENDS' angle A.  The word is most commonly used for the chord 
of a circle, SUBTENDING an angle at the circumference or at the centre 
of the circle. You can also think of the arc of a circle subtending an 
angle at the centre or at the circumference.  The angle subtended is 
'opposite' the chord or arc.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Conic Sections/Circles
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.