Subtend

Date: 07/23/97 at 16:04:17
From: Brian Ferri
Subject: Definition of the word "Subtends"

Please give me the definition of the word, "Subtends."  This is not in
your on-line math dictionary.

Thank you.

Date: 07/23/97 at 19:40:09
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: definition of the word "Subtends"

If you think of the side opposite say angle A in a triangle, then that
side 'SUBTENDS' angle A.  The word is most commonly used for the chord
of a circle, SUBTENDING an angle at the circumference or at the centre
of the circle. You can also think of the arc of a circle subtending an
angle at the centre or at the circumference.  The angle subtended is
'opposite' the chord or arc.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

Middle School Conic Sections/Circles
Middle School Definitions