Visualizing the Metric System

Date: 08/02/97 at 15:58:14
From: James Sheldon
Subject: Metric System

I understand how to use the metric system to do conversions and stuff
like that... but I have one problem. It's really hard to visualize
stuff in the metric system. What are some common things that could be
used to approximate lengths and to give a visual picture of the
different lengths in the metric system?

Date: 08/08/97 at 14:24:38
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Metric System

Here are some things that might be useful in visualizing conversions:

8 kilometers <-> 5 miles
1 kilometer <-> 7 city blocks
1 meter <-> 1 yard
1 centimeter <-> width of a fingernail
1 millimeter <-> width of a rubber band
1 gram <-> mass of a jelly bean
1 kilogram <-> mass of a baseball bat
1 megagram = 1 metric ton <-> 1 ton (2000 pounds)
1 liter <-> 1 quart
1 milliliter = 1 cubic centimeter <-> volume of a die
                                      (1 of a pair of dice)

If you have other units you want equivalents for, send them and we'll
try to help.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Middle School Measurement