What is an Algorithm?

Date: 08/08/97 at 19:11:58
From: Wes Edge
Subject: What is an Algorithm?

Dr. Math,

I have been reading up on computers and microprocessors. The word
algorithm keeps coming up. Can you give me any hints about this?

Like your Web Site! I foresee many hours reading everthing. Thanks for
taking the time and trouble to educate us!

Wes

Date: 08/09/97 at 12:01:51
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: What is an Algorithm?

An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure by which an operation can be
carried out. For example a computer follows a set of instructions
which constitutes an algorithm for solving a particular problem.

In elementary arithmetic, the extraction of square roots by the
repeated application of a simple process is an 'algorithm' familiar to
most people.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions