Mode, Median, and Mean

Date: 08/23/97 at 09:49:48
From: Jennifer
Subject: Mode, median, and mean

Find a set of five data values with modes 0 and 2, median 2, and
mean 2. Explain how you found your answer.

I just don't understand how I'm supposed to do it!
I'm really confused. Please help.

Date: 08/29/97 at 09:38:25
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Mode, median, and mean

  Mode = values appearing most often,
Median = value with as many other values above as below,
  Mean = average (sum of the values divided by the number of
                  values).

There are five values. If all were different, there would be five
modes, but there are only two. The two modes must appear at least
twice. They cannot appear three times each, because then you would
have at least six values, not five. Thus four of the values must be
0, 0, 2, and 2.

For 2 to be the median, the remaining value, call it x, must be
greater than 2.  If 0 < x < 2, then x would be the median, and if
x < 0, 0 would be the median.

Then the mean is (0+0+2+2+x)/5 = 2, which you can solve for x.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions
Middle School Statistics