Converting Inches to Miles

Date: 11/21/97 at 00:08:57
From: Phillip
Subject: Converting inches into miles

I know that 12 inches is equal to one foot and 5,280 feet is equal to
one mile, but what I don't know is how to convert 22 inches into
miles.

Date: 11/21/97 at 08:35:43
From: Doctor Jerry
Subject: Re: Converting inches into miles

Hi Philip,

Unit cancellation is a method that helps decide whether you should
multiply or divide.

The idea is to multiply 22 inches by some equivalent ratios until the
units cancel as desired.

              1 foot       1 mile
             12 inches     5280 feet

Inches cancel and feet cancel, leaving 22*(1/12)*(1/5280) miles.

-Doctor Jerry,  The Math Forum

Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement