Helicopters Over a Traffic Jam

Date: 09/22/98 at 20:29:50
From: CWS
Subject: Relative speeds

This is a math problem related to dealing with relative speeds:

A helicopter flies over a traffic jam with a velocity of 180 km/h. If
it flies in the same direction the cars move, it needs 2 minutes to
overfly the cars. Flying back against the direction in which the cars
are moving takes 80 seconds. How long is the traffic jam and with what
speed do the cars move?

Date: 09/23/98 at 09:21:55
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Relative speeds

Hi, Martin.

Probably the hardest part about this problem is working with the
units, since you have km/h and minutes and seconds all mixed together.
Let's start by getting everything in terms of meters per second:

       km   1000 m    1 hr     1 min       m
   180 -- * ------ * ------ * ------ = 50 ---
       hr    1 km    60 min   60 sec      sec

Now suppose the traffic is moving at V m/sec.

If the helicopter flies in the same direction as the cars, it is moving
at (50 - V) relative to the cars. It takes 120 sec to travel D (the
length of the line), so:

   120 * (50 - V) = D

If it flies back, it is moving at (50 + V) relative to the cars. This
takes 80 seconds, so:

   80 * (50 + V) = D

See if you can solve those two equations. One way is just to set the
two D's equal to each other and solve for V, then find D from either
of the two equations. You'll probably want to change V back into km/hr
when you have it.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 09/23/98 at 14:32:14
From: CWS

Hi,

First of all, thanks for answering my question. Second, I'd like to ask
if I solved the equation correctly:

   D = 120*(50-V)
   D = 80*(50+V)

Substituting:

   120*(50-V) = 80*(50+V)

Thus:

   V = 10 km/h

And:

   D = 120*(50-10) = 340 meters

A: The traffic jam is 340 meters long and it moves at 10km/h.

Is this right?

Sincerely,
Martin

Date: 09/23/98 at 16:48:40
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Moving-problem (puzzle?)

Hi, Martin. You're almost right! But you missed my reminder to change
V back to km/h when you are done. It's 10 m/s. In calculating D you
must have done something wrong, because I get 4800 m immediately.
(Note that you do use the 10 in the formula for D, but you must
remember again that the variable is in meters.)

When you get your final answers in a problem like this, it would be
good to check them not only in the equations you wrote, but also in
the actual problem as originally stated, using the actual units of
your answer. How long will a helicopter going 180 km/h over 4.8 km of
traffic moving 36 km/h take in each direction? Then you don't have to
ask me if you are right. (And I don't have to check my own answers for
you, which could be wrong.)

Date: 09/24/98 at 21:07:29
From: CWS
Subject: Moving-Problem

Greetings,

I'd just like to say that I'm thankful to you for helping me with this
puzzle. It really helped me a lot.

Sincerely,
CWS

Middle School Word Problems