Liters to Quarts

Date: 05/20/99 at 23:53:16
From: Elizabeth Jackson
Subject: Liters to quarts and quarts to liters

I need help converting liters to quarts and quarts to liters.

Example: How many liters are in 5.5 quarts?

Date: 05/22/99 at 15:09:36
From: Doctor Jeremiah
Subject: Re: Liters to quarts and quarts to liters

Hi Elizabeth:

What you really want to know is how many liters are in 1 quart,
because if you knew that you could multiply by any number of quarts
(including 5.5).

Check the US government's Office of Weights and Measures
(part of the National Institute of Standards and Technology)
http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/appxc/appxc.htm

This page says 1 liter = 1.056688 liguid quart
and that 1 liquid quart = 0.9463529 liters

If we take 1 liquid quart = 0.9463529 liters
and multiply both sides by 5.5 we get:

1 liquid quart * 5.5 = 0.9463529 liters * 5.5
   5.5 liquid quarts = 5.2 liters

Now how would we figure this out on our own if we had to?

Look at the side of a large Coke bottle and notice that it says
1 LITER and then underneath 33.8 FL OZ.

1 quart is 32 fluid ounces so 5.5 quarts would be 32 * 5.5 fluid
ounces = 176 fluid ounces.

We know that 1 liter is 33.8 fluid ounces, so if we divide our 176
fluid ounces by 33.8 we get 5.2.

Hope that helps.

- Doctor Jeremiah, The Math Forum