Benchmarks

Date: 03/25/2001 at 13:39:09
From: Rita Mazina
Subject: Benchmarks

What exactly is a benchmark? Could you please show an example?

Thank you!

Date: 03/26/2001 at 15:03:55
From: Doctor TWE
Subject: Re: Benchmarks

Hi Rita - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

A benchmark is a way of comparing two or more things numerically. For
example, to compare how efficiently different models of cars use
gasoline, the Environmental Protection Agency runs the cars on a test
track under controlled conditions, and measures their fuel efficiency.
These numbers are called "benchmarks."

A Mazda Protege, for example, might be EPA-rated at 30 mpg (miles per
gallon) city / 38 mpg highway. A Ford Taurus, on the other hand, might
be rated at 22 mpg city / 36 mpg city. What this means is that the
Protege got much better gas mileage when they simulated city driving
conditions (30 mpg vs. 22 mpg), but only slightly better gas mileage
when highway driving conditions were simulated (38 mpg vs. 36 mpg).

These numbers are for comparisons. If I was going to buy a new car and
wanted one that would get good gas mileage, I'd look at these EPA
numbers to see which was better. I'd also have to consider how much of
my driving is city driving and how much is highway driving. Once I
bought the car, how many miles I got per gallon of gas would depend on
my driving habits, the weather, whether I kept the car in good repair,
etc. That's why they always say, "your actual mileage may vary" at the
end of the commercials.

Sometimes (but not always) benchmarks have a "standard" against which
other numbers are compared. For example, to compare the processing
power of various models of personal computers, PC Magazine will run a
set of test software on one particular type of machine. The resulting
performance will be assigned a "benchmark" rating of 100, and all
other machines tested will be compared to that standard. So a machine
that gets a benchmark of 133 is 33% better (more powerful, faster,
etc.) than the standard, while a machine that gets a benchmark of 80
is 20% worse than the standard. Of course, how well a machine performs
for you depends on what software you're running on it. Again, "your
performance may vary."

Benchmarks aren't limited to cars and computers. Many institutions use
benchmarks to evaluate everything from jet engines to stocks and
bonds. In fact, any time you use a standardized testing environment to
compare two or more things, you are using a benchmark.

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions
Middle School Measurement