Examples of Units of Measure

Date: 04/15/2001 at 19:00:19
From: Kristen
Subject: Physical examples of units of measure

I need help visualizing certain units of measure. For example, What
are some physical things that represent these units of measure?

     1 centimeter
     1 meter
     1 square foot
     1 square centimeter
     1 square meter
     1 cubic foot
     1 cubic yard
     1 milliliter
     1 gram
     1 kilogram

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristen

Date: 04/16/2001 at 10:39:42
From: Doctor N Brooke
Subject: Re: Physical examples of units of measure

Thanks for writing to Dr. Math, Kristen.

1 centimeter is about the diameter of a dime.

1 meter is a little longer than a yard, or the distance from sternum
to outstretched fingertip on an adult.

1 square foot is about the size of most floor tiles.

1 square centimeter is about the size of a dime.

A 24-pack of soda is a little bit bigger than a cubic foot.

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. Most refrigerators hold about a cubic
yard.

There are 15 drops in a milliliter. That's almost a teaspoon full of
water.

Large paperclips weigh close to 1 gram.

Two cans of soda weigh about 1 kilogram.

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back any time.

- Doctor N Brooke, The Math Forum

Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement