Age Classifications

Date: 08/24/2001 at 14:55:38
From: Scott Ingwersen
Subject: Age classifications (i.e. septuagenarian)

Hello Dr. Math,

I'm trying to complete a table for age classes. So far, I have found:

quinquagenarian = 50s
sexagenarian = 60s
septuagenarian = 70s
octogenarian = 80s
nonagenarian = 90s

I could guess that someone in his or her forties is a tetragenarian,
but do you have a more definitive answer for the gaps in my list? I'm
also looking for 100s, or someone over 100 years of age, and if there
is a definition for 110s? Are these Greek- or Latin-based?

Best Regards,
Scott Ingwersen

Date: 08/24/2001 at 16:46:37
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Age classifications (i.e. septuagenarian)

Hi, Scott.

The "s" in "sexa" and "septua" tells us they are Latin (the Greek
prefixes are "hexa" and "hepta"). (See our Dr. Math FAQ on Large
Numbers, or Russ Rowlett's Names for Large Numbers at

   http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/large.html

and check your dictionary as well!)

So I would expect the missing prefixes to come from Latin "decem"
(10), "viginti" (20), "triginta" (30), and "quadraginta" (40). The
"gen" part of your words parallels the "gint" part of the normal
number prefixes, and means "tens"; for example, my dictionary says the
Latin "quinquageni" meaning "fifty each" comes from "quinquaginta"
meaning meaning "fifty".

I did a Web search to find pages that might list Latin words of this
form, and found

   http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/6946/distributive.html

   http://www.geocities.com/latingreeksite/numbers/numbers2.htm

which tell me that the Latin words are "deni" (10), "viceni" (20),
"triceni" (30), and "quadrageni" (40); so if the missing words
existed, they would probably be

    denarian (teen)
    vicenarian (twenty-something)
    tricenarian (30+)
    quadragenarian (40+)

Checking my dictionary, I don't find these, though the last can be
found on the Web, but we don't need these words since under-50's are
not noteworthy.

A 100-year-old is a centenarian; I don't know of any standard way to
form words for 110 and up. Perhaps, from the Latin, "centenidenarian"
would do.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 12/27/2001 at 06:15:40
From: Anthony Brancato
Subject: Age Classifications

Those 110 years old and up (no upper limit) are now referred to as
"supercentenarians" (the first use of this word appears to have
cropped up in 1991, in a book entitled _Generations_ by William
Strauss and Neil Howe).

Also, "quadragenarian" meaning someone in their 40s, used to appear
in dictionaries until about 30 years ago, when it was dropped in most
places.  I have never run across an individual word describing any
age decade younger than 40.

Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Large Numbers