Reciprocal Rate

Date: 11/28/2001 at 19:12:20
From: Eliz
Subject: Not sure

An automobile gets 20 miles per gallon of fuel. Compute the
reciprocal rate giving units of measurement. Round your answer to
the nearest hundredth.

Date: 11/28/2001 at 20:55:45
From: Doctor Achilles
Subject: Re: Not sure

Hi Eliz,

Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

The "reciprocal rate" refers to the reverse of the units. So if for
your problem you are given that a car gets so many miles for every
gallon, the reciprocal rate is how many gallons it takes to go one
mile.

I hope this hint helps. If you'd like a little more help calculating
the answer, please write back and I'll be glad to give you a hand.

- Doctor Achilles, The Math Forum

Middle School Word Problems