The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Square Foot Shape Symbol

Date: 02/04/2002 at 14:22:28
From: Angie 
Subject: Square Foot (Shape Symbol)

I am looking for a symbol for square foot. My dad uses a square with a 
diagonal line through it for square foot. I can't seem to find this 
symbol anywhere on the Internet or in Microsoft Word under symbols.  
Where could I locate this symbol on the Internet?

Date: 02/04/2002 at 14:47:51
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Square Foot (Shape Symbol)

Hi Angie - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.
In mathematics, square foot is generally written ft.  
(in e-mail, ft^2).

Here's what one of our math doctors has to say:

   Writing 'Square Foot'   

But at    (a Word 
document) there's a picture of a proposed symbol:

   |  |  |
   |     |

The page says that this example shows the use of the symbol in 
advertising, but informal surveys of professionals in the field 
indicate that its use is not limited in that way.

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Terms/Units of Measurement

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.