Square Foot Shape Symbol

Date: 02/04/2002 at 14:22:28
From: Angie
Subject: Square Foot (Shape Symbol)

I am looking for a symbol for square foot. My dad uses a square with a
diagonal line through it for square foot. I can't seem to find this
symbol anywhere on the Internet or in Microsoft Word under symbols.
Where could I locate this symbol on the Internet?

Date: 02/04/2002 at 14:47:51
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Square Foot (Shape Symbol)

Hi Angie - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.
                                                   2
In mathematics, square foot is generally written ft.
(in e-mail, ft^2).

Here's what one of our math doctors has to say:

   Writing 'Square Foot'
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/gloria.5.5.01.html

But at http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2184.doc    (a Word
document) there's a picture of a proposed symbol:

    __|__
   |  |  |
   |     |
   |_____|

The page says that this example shows the use of the symbol in
advertising, but informal surveys of professionals in the field
indicate that its use is not limited in that way.

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum