A Peck of Peppers

Date: 02/27/2002 at 20:23:36
From: Ashley
Subject: Please Pass the Peppers

Hi Dr. Math,

I need help with this problem:

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, how many pickled
peppers did Peter Piper pick?

I know he picked a peck of pickled peppers, but how much is a peck?

Thanks,
Ashley

Date: 02/28/2002 at 09:57:03
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Please Pass the Peppers

Hi Ashley - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

See Russ Rowlett's _How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement_:

   http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictP.html

Scroll down until you find "peck."

   peck (pk)
   a traditional unit of volume, formerly used for both liquids
   and solids but now used mostly for dry commodities such as
   grains, berries, and fruits. A peck is 2 gallons, 8 quarts,
   or 1/4 bushel. In the U. S. customary system, a peck holds
   537.605 cubic inches or approximately 8.8098 liters. In the
   British imperial system, a peck is a little larger, holding
   554.84 cubic inches or approximately 9.0923 liters. The word
   "peck", originally spelled "pek", comes from the name of a
   similar old French unit; the origin of the French unit is
   not known.

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions
Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement