Centimeters in a Hand

Date: 02/27/2002 at 18:15:23
From: Hana
Subject: How many centimeters are in one hand?

Dear Dr. Math,

You measure horses in "hands." I need to know how many centimeters are
in 1 hand.

Hana

Date: 02/28/2002 at 11:41:57
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: How many centimeters are in one hand?

From Russ Rowlett's _How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement_:

   http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictH.html

   hand
   a traditional unit of distance, now used mostly to measure
   the height of horses. One hand equals 4 inches, 1/3 foot,
   or 10.16 centimeters.

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions
Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement