Train Speed, Wind, and Smoke

Date: 7/2/96 at 19:40:39
From: Anonymous
Subject: Train Speed, Wind, and Smoke

If an electric train is climbing a hill at 45 kph and the wind is
blowing at 12 knots how far is the smoke blowing back down the hill?

Date: 7/2/96 at 22:1:32
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Train Speed, Wind, and Smoke

This question cannot be answered unless we know the direction of the
train's motion and the direction of the wind.

[Archivists note: Actually, the answer is that there IS no smoke
because... it's an electric train!]

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

Middle School Logic
Middle School Word Problems