Dividing Three Digit Numbers

From: "Barbara A. Shaw"
Subject: Help

Dear Dr. Math,

I am in 7th grade.  I don't understand how to divide by 3 digit numbers.
Can you help me?  Please reply.  My e-mail address is:
takoma5@cap.gwu.edu
Please write Maira in the Subject line.

Thank you.

Maira Rosales
Takoma Education Center
Washington, DC

From: Dr. Ethan
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 10:31:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi Maira,

     I must say that I think that dividing is hard as well, but it is worth
it once you have learned it.  Here is how I do it; I hope that it helps you.

     Let's look at an example to help us get started.
                                  ____
                              324/3566

Okay, now let's divide. The first step is to look at 324 and the first
three digits of the other number.  They are 356.  Now we need to ask
ourselves will 324 go into 356?

     Yes, because 356 is bigger.  How many times do you think it will go in?

     I think that it will go in only once because 356 isn't very much bigger
than 324.  So I write 1 on the top and it looks like this:

                                 __1__
                             324/3566

     Now multiply 1 times 324 and bring it down below to see what is left over.
1 times 324 is 324 so we get
                                __1__
                            324/3566
                                324

     Then we subtract 324 from 356 and we get 32. Then bring that down
and bring down the 6 to get
                                __1__
                            324/3566
                                324_
                                0326

     Now check if 324 goes into 326.  It does just barely.  It only goes
in once, so we repeat the above process to get

                                __11_
                            324/3566
                                324_
                                0326
                                 324
                                   2

     324 does not go into 2 so that is the remainder.

     I hope that this was helpful. If you have more questions or want more
help on division, please write back.

                Ethan-Doctor On Call

Associated Topics:
Middle School Division