Factor Pairs

Date: 05/16/99 at 22:18:05
From: Ashly Dull
Subject: Factor pairs

I have been asked to define factor pairs. I do not have a reference
book that answers the specific question. I have searched the Web
without any success.  Please help.

Date: 05/17/99 at 12:47:48
From: Doctor Terrel
Subject: Re: Factor pairs

Dear Ashley,

A factor pair is nothing more nor less than two numbers that when
multiplied together yield a given number. For example, 24:

    24
 ---------
  1  |  24
  2  |  12
  3  |   8
  4  |   6

so 24 has four distinct factor pairs.  That's all there is to it, but
it's a basic idea needed in first year algebra.

- Doctor Terrel, The Math Forum

Middle School Factoring Numbers