Handcar and Freight Train

Date: Tue,  6 Dec 1994 19:46:43 GMT
From: Jeremy Moreau
Subject: Figure this one out!

A handcar sets out from Chicago to Detroit at an average speed of
10mph. Four hours later a freight train starts a run from Detroit to
Chicago at an average speed of 20mph.  Assuming the rail distance
between the two cities is 400 miles, which will be closer to Chicago
when they meet?

                   jeremy.moreau@bchs.uu.ids.net

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 10:52:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Dr. Sydney
Subject: Re: Figure this one out!

Dear Jeremy,

        Hello there!  Your question is pretty tricky, but we think we've
got it.  When the handcar and the train meet, they will be the same
distance from Chicago (they will be in the same place).  Does that help?
Write back with any more questions you might have.

--Sydney

Associated Topics:
Middle School Word Problems