Carpeting a Room

Date: 16 Apr 1995 00:02:35 -0400
From: Colleen Gordon
Subject: square footage

If I need carpeting for 3 rooms that measure 24 feet by 12 feet, 17 feet
by 12 feet, and the hallway is 3 feet by 12 feet, what is the square
footage total?

Date: 16 Apr 1995 00:21:15 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: square footage

Hello there!

The way I understand it, you've got three areas that you want to cover:  a
24x12 room, a 17x12 room, and a 3x12 room.  What we can do is find the
square footage of each of these rooms, and then add the three figures
together.  Happily, these are all rectangular rooms, so we can find the
square footage of the floor by using the formula   Area = Length x Width.

So for the first room, the area is 24 x 12 = 288 square feet.  You can do
the same for the other two rooms.  Once you've figured out the square
footage of each of the rooms, you can add the three values together!

Please write back if you have any confusions about this.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
Middle School Word Problems