Distance, Rate, and Time Problems

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 14:17:25 AST
From: Richard Seguin
Subject: Rate, Distance, Time...

I have a question like this:

1) Liza and Tamar leave the same camp and run in opposite directions.
Liza runs 2m/s and Tamar runs 3m/s. How far apart are they after 1 hour?

What I did was:

Liza
----
Have to convert from Sec to hours.
3600 = sec in hours
(2m/s)(3600)=7200 M/H
Now I converted it to KM:
7200M = 7.2KM

So she would be 7.2KM

Tamar:
------
(3M/S)(3600)=10800M/H
Converted to KM
10800 = 10.8 KM

They all together would be 18KM apart.
Right?

Date: 10 Apr 1995 15:09:40 -0400
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: Rate, Distance, Time...

You got it.

        Good work, Richard. If you have any more questions or need any
help please write back.

        Ethan Doctor On call

Date: 10 Apr 1995 17:31:33 -0400
From: Richard Seguin
Subject: distance,time,and rates

What about this:

4) Jon and Jennifer start at the same point and ride their bicycles in
the same direction. Jon travels at 12km/h, while Jennifer travels at
16km/h. After 6h, how far apart are they?

What I did was:

Jon
---
D=Vt
D=(12)(6)
D=72KM

Jennifer
--------
D=VT
D=(16)(6)
D= 96KM

96-72 = 24 Km apart

Is this right? I think I am getting the hang of this.

Date: 10 Apr 1995 17:31:33 -0400
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: distance,time,and rates

Yep, that one is right too.