The Youngest of the Tennis Player

Date: 9 May 1995 03:52:42 -0400
From: Dana Murray
Subject: Question 3

Good Morning Sir !

Now for another tennis game:

Five friends get together to play 5 doubles matches, with a different
group of 4 players each time.  The sums of the ages of the players
for the different matches are 124, 128, 130, 136 and 142 years.
What is the age of the youngest player ?

Date: 9 May 1995 11:00:44 -0400
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: Question 3

Hey Dana,

        Here is what I will do.  I will set the problem up but I will let
you solve it.

Let v,w,x,y,z represent the ages of the players.  So we get five formulas:

          v+w+x+y = 124
          v+w+x+z = 128
          v+w+y+z = 130
          v+x+y+z = 136
          w+x+y+z = 142

So now we have five linear equations with five unknowns, and this can be
solved -- and in this case there will only be one solution.

Do you know how to solve these equations.  If not, write back and we
will give you the next step.

Ethan Doctor On Call

Associated Topics:
Middle School Word Problems