Setting Up the Equation for a Word Problem

Date: 2/1/96 at 22:46:23
From: Antoni Berishaj
Subject: problem!

How many apples do I have if I get 22 from my mom and twice as
many from my dad and then have to give the half of it to my sister
and still have to throw away 8 of them because they were bad?

Thank you!

Antoni Berishaj
http://wwwcip.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~ger10999/Antoni.html

Date: 3/12/96 at 0:54:5
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: problem!

Hi Antoni!  Word problems are really cool, but sometimes hard to
start with.

I'm just going to help you set this one up and let you take it
from there, okay?  And if you need more help with it when I
finish, be sure to write us back.

How many apples do I have if I get 22 from my mom...

22

and twice as many from my dad

22 + 2*22

and then have to give half of (them) to my sister

1/2 * (22 + 2*22)

and still have to throw away 8 of them

(1/2 * (22 + 2*22) ) - 8

Does this help?