Changing Percent to Decimal

Date: 5/21/96 at 15:48:38
From: Anonymous
Subject: Percent

The question reads,

	"In a survey of 270 grade 9 students, 58 percent liked rock music.
How many did not like rock music?"

I have tried to figure it out by making the 58 percent into a
decimal (.58).  Is that right?

Date: 6/6/96 at 16:46:55
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Percent

Yes, that will work.  Here's one way to do this problem:

.58 * 270 = number who like rock music

270 - number who liked rock music = number who DID NOT like rock
music.

Does this make sense?

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Word Problems