Word Problem Using Whole Numbers

Date: 5/25/96 at 23:28:29
From: Anonymous
Subject: Word Problem Using Whole Numbers

If someone went to the store and bought 20 fish for $45, how many
Angel fish did she buy if the Angel fish cost $3 and the Neon fish
cost $2?  I am totally stumped. I have no idea what to do.

Date: 5/28/96 at 0:27:40
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Word Problem Using Whole Numbers

Hello!

The key point here is that the person asking the question probably
means that the number of Angel fish and the number of Neon fish bought
will both have to be whole numbers. The fish-buyer didn't buy, for
instance, half of an Angel fish and 19 1/2 Neon fish. Now can you do
anything on the problem?  Good luck!

-Doctor Ken,  The Math Forum

Middle School Word Problems