For a Given Number, Solve the Expression...

From: Anonymous
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 9:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Solve the expression

I don't understand this problem. Can you help me?

For a given number m, m greater than or equal to 1 , solve:
The square root of m + x plus the square root of m - x
divided by the square root of m.

Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dr. Anthony
Subject: Re: Solve the expression

Start by multiplying through by the denominator to get:

sqrt(m+x) + sqrt(m-x) = sqrt(m){sqrt(m+x) - sqrt(m-x)}

Now square both sides using (a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 to get after
collecting terms:

2m + 2sqrt(m+x)*sqrt(m-x) = m{2m - 2sqrt(m+x)*sqrt(m-x)}
cancel 2's and collect the sqrt(m+x)*sqrt(m-x) to one side:

sqrt(m+x)*sqrt(m-x){1+m} = m^2 - m
sqrt(m+x)*sqrt(m-x) = m(m-1)/(m+1)

Now square both sides again

(m+x)(m-x) = m^2(m-1)^2/(m+1)^2