Weight of Clown, Trapeze Artist

Date: 9/9/96 at 19:36:31
From: Anonymous
Subject: Weight of Clown, Trapeze Artist

I need to solve this problem using the 5 step plan:

The clown weighs 60 lbs. more than the trapeze artist; the trapeze
artist weighs 2/3 as much as the clown. How much does each weigh?

I have figured out the answer. The clown weighs 180 lbs and the
trapeze artist weighs 120 lbs. But I can't figure out how to make it
into a problem.

Date: 9/12/96 at 18:26:36
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Weight of Clown, Trapeze Artist

Hi there! You'd probably write it something like this:

trapeze + 60 = clown
trapeze = 2/3 * clown

Then you would substitute like this:

(2/3 * clown) + 60 = clown