Clock Losing Time

Date: 9/9/96 at 22:3:13
From: Anonymous
Subject: Clock Losing Time

A clock shows the correct time on May 1 at 1:00 P.M.  The clock loses
20 minutes a day.  What will be the next date when this clock shows
the correct time?

Date: 9/11/96 at 12:16:5
From: Doctor Ana
Subject: Re: Clock Losing Time

If it is an old-fashioned clock that doesn't tell you whether it's
a.m. or p.m., then all that has to happen is for the clock to show
1:00 again. It won't happen before then because time is moving forward
faster than the clock is. If it loses 20 minutes per day then it will
take 36 days to make up the 12 hours.

If, on the other hand, this is a digital clock, we need to make up 24
hours and it will take 72 days to do that.

-Doctor Ana,  The Math Forum

Middle School Word Problems