Six Quarts of Water, 2 Containers

Date: 08/24/97 at 17:46:37
From: hilary chase
Subject: Two containers

How can you bring up from the river exactly six quarts of water when
you have only two containers, a four-quart pail and a nine-quart pail,
to measure with?  (There are no horizontal scale markings on the
container).

I thought I could fill the nine-quart pail with water, then sink the
four-quart pail into the nine-quart pail and pull it out leaving 6
quarts. Or, fill the 4 quart pail and empty it into the 9 quart. Fill
the 4 quart half full and put in the 9 quart.  Help!

Date: 08/25/97 at 10:43:53
From: Doctor Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Two containers

Fill the nine-quart pail.  Fill the four-quart pail from the nine-
quart pail and empty it, twice.  This leaves one quart in the nine-
quart pail.  Pour it into the four-quart pail.  Refill the nine-quart
pail and fill the four-quart pail from it.  This now leaves six quarts
in the nine-quart pail.

-Doctor Wilkinson,  The Math Forum

Middle School Word Problems