Composite Numbers

Date: 1/30/96 at 22:24:53
From: Anonymous
Subject: Composite Numbers

What are Composite Numbers?

This is a research project, and I have tried all my dictionaries,
even on the Internet, and can't find it.

I am 10 years old.

Date: 3/26/96 at 21:3:15
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Composite Numbers

Hi there!

Do you know what a PRIME number is?  A prime number has exactly 2
positive factors:

1 and itself.

(A factor, by the way, is a number which, multiplied with another
factor, gives you the number in question.  You can also say that
the number divided by a factor has to have NO REMAINDER - that is,
it has to divide evenly.

Here is an example:

the factors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12

(If you'd like a better explanation, just ask!)

The first few prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7

Can you test other numbers to see if they are prime?

A COMPOSITE number has more than 2 factors (one way to remember
this: composite means being composed, or made up of, several
parts)

So, numbers like 12 (see its factors above) are called composite.
Can you make a list of the first few composite numbers?  How could
you show that they're composite?

(1 and 0, says Dr. Pat, are freaks.  When I asked him what they
are called, he said, 1 and 0.  So I can't remember if they have
been given "special" names.)

Hope this helps! Write us back with more questions or if you want
to know more....

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions