The Biggest Number

Date: 8/7/96 at 22:1:38
From: nu0607gt
Subject: The Biggest Number

Dear Dr. Math,

What is the highest number we know of?

Date: 8/8/96 at 13:57:16
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: The Biggest Number

There is no highest number.  Think about it, if you say that 1
followed by a million zeros is the highest number, I can always tell
you to add 1 to that.

This leaves us with no highest number.  Computers may put a limit
on the highest number they can use, but that is only because computers
need more memory to store higher numbers, and there is a limit to how
much memory a computer has.  But you do not have a memory limit, so
there is no highest number.

-Doctor Leigh,  The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers