Naming N-Tuples (Single, Double, etc.)

Date: 05/15/2000 at 11:42:19
From: Vincent Prewitt
Subject: About single, double, triple, etc.

One is single, two is double, three is triple, four is quadruple, five
is quintuple, six is sextuple. What are seven, eight, nine, and ten?

Date: 05/15/2000 at 12:21:38
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: About single, double, triple, etc.

Hi, Vincent.

These forms parallel the (Latin) prefixes used for large numbers; see
our archive entry, Names for Big Numbers, at:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/kesselheim2.11.97.html

The answers are: septuple, octuple, nonuple, decuple.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 05/16/2000 at 11:26:49
From: Vincent Prewitt

You gave me the answer about single, double, triple, etc. for seven,
eight, nine, and ten. Can you give me eleven through twenty?

Date: 05/16/2000 at 11:50:43
From: Doctor Peterson

Hi, Vincent.

As for the high-number n-tuples, even those I gave you are not used
often; You might just take my suggestion and look at the standard
Latin prefixes, invent what you think the words ought to be, and then
check a (big) dictionary to see if they are considered real. That's
all I did to answer your first question!

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers