Addition with Variables

Date: 4/16/96 at 11:16:30
From: "Matthew Auman Jennings"
Subject: algebra

I had a difficulty answering the following question on last
night's homework assignment.  I was wondering if you could help me
with it.

3a+a

Matt

Date: 4/16/96 at 15:35:22
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: algebra

Hi there, Matt!

One thing to remember about algebra is that letters like "a" stand
for real numbers.  Does it help to rewrite your question as

(3 * number) + number?

Then we see that we get 4 * number. So the answer to your question
is 4a.

I hope that this helps.  Let us know if you need a better
explanation.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Addition