Sum of Products

Date: 11/01/1999 at 12:38:16
From: Tasha
Subject: Products of math

When in a word problem it asks for the sum of a product, is the
product the answer of all of the sums added together?

Date: 11/14/1999 at 19:54:44
From: Doctor TWE
Subject: Re: Products of math

Hi Tasha - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

You ask a good question. In math, when we use the word "sum," we mean
add the numbers. When we use the word "product," we mean multiply the
numbers. So the "sum of the products" means we want to add (sum) the
results of numbers being multiplied (products). Let me give you an
example.

Suppose we have 3 nickels, 4 dimes and 2 quarters. To find the value
of the nickels, we multiply (find the product of)

     3 * 5 cents = 15 cents.

To find the value of the dimes, we find the product of

     4 * 10 cents = 40 cents.

Likewise, to find the value of the quarters, we multiply

     2 * 25 cents = 50 cents.

To find the total value of all the coins, we add up (sum)

     15 cents + 40 cents + 50 cents = 105 cents, or $1.05.

Here, we added up ("took the sum of") all the results of the
multiplications ("the products.")

I hope this example helps clear it up. Write back if you have any more
questions!

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

Elementary Addition
Elementary Multiplication