Large number division

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 10:53:16 PST
From: Keith Averell
Subject: grade 3 math

 Dear Dr. Math,

Do you know what 1,223,444,777,888,999  divided by
1,999,888,777,666,555,444,333,222,123 is?

There is one more question: how is it to be a math whiz?  I wish I
could be a math whiz like you.  How did you learn math so good?
How is it to be a college professor?  Is it nice or is it bad?  I wish I
could meet you.  I have heard about you a little bit.

Bye,
Clayton Frank Chong

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 00:07:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Clayton's Question

Hey Clayton,

        I am glad you asked.  I happen to love division.  The problem
you have given will have an answer less than one because the second
number is bigger than the first.  The answer turns out to be a very
small decimal.  Have you studied decimals?

        The answer is .000000000000611756

In regard to your other questions about being a math whiz, I don't know
if I can be much help.  I work very hard at math and have become a lot
better, but I am still a long way from being a math whiz.  The one thing I
would say is never stop asking good questions and don't just find out the
answer but find out why.  I also am not a college professor but I think
that most of them like it.

                Ethan - Doctor On Call

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division