Quotient of 65 and 9.4

Date: 13 Feb 1995 21:59:14 -0500
From: Anonymous
Subject: (none)

What is the quotient of 65 and 9.4 ?

        BLANCOS

Date: 15 Feb 1995 19:51:29 GMT
From: Dr. Math
Subject: Re: (none)

Hello there!

When you take the quotient of two numbers, you divide one by the
other.  We want 65 / 9.4.  Another way or writing 9.4 is 9 and 4/10,
i.e. 94/10.  So we have 65 / (94/10).  Now we remember that dividing
by a number is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal (a fancy name
for the number turned upside down), so we have 65 / 9.4 = 65 x 10/94.
Another name for 65 is 65/1, so we have

             65   10      65 x 10      650     325
              1   94       1 x 94       94      47

I hope this makes sense to you!