What is 25 Divided By 5?

Date: 27 Apr 1995 13:16:46 -0400
From: Lucas Cannon
Subject: 25 divided by 5

Hi - my name is Lucas Cannon.  I'm studying division at school.  Do you
know 25 divided by 5?  How are you doing today?

Date: 4 May 1995 19:16:28 -0400
From: Dr. Sydney
Subject: Re: 25 divided by 5

Hello Lucas!!!!!!

How is the division going?  Division is a pretty important operation in
math.  You'll use it a lot from now on!  I hope you are liking it!

When you ask what is 25 divided by 5, you are really asking how many
5's there are in 25.  You probably know from studying multiplication that

5 X 5 = 25, right?

Since there are 5 5's in 25, that means 25 divided by 5 is 5.

Division is kind of like the opposite of multiplication.  If you have a
number, like 4, and multiply it my another number, say 7, you get a third
number 28, right?  Probably no surprises there.  Well, since

4 X 7 = 28,

we can also say something about division.  There are four 7's in the
number 28, so that means that 28 divided by 4 is 7.  Likewise, 28 divided
by 7 is 4.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps.  If you have any more questions,
don't hesitate to write back!

--Sydney, "Dr. Math"

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division