What is 65 Divided by 3?

Date: 27 Apr 1995 13:16:26 -0400
From: garrett mcduffie
Subject: (none)

Hello, my name is Garrett McDuffie we just started division.  It is pretty
simple to me. What is 65 divided by 3?

Date: 1 May 1995 15:17:14 -0400
From: Dr. Sydney
Subject: Re: your mail

Hi Garrett!

I'm glad you wrote Dr. Math!

Division can be pretty neat, especially when you first learn it, but
sometimes it can get kind of complicated.  I hope you are liking it!

To divide 65 by 3 it is probably simplest to do long division, which I bet
you've seen before.  So, write:
          ____
         3|65

Now take the first digit of the number under the long division thing (that
number in this problem is 65, so the first digit of that number is 6.  Do
you know what digits are?  If not, write back and we'll explain better) and
ask yourself how many times does 3 go into that number (how many times does
3 go into 6).  Well, as I'm sure you could tell me if you were here, 3 goes
into 6 exactly 2 times, because 2 times 3 is 6.  So, write a 2 above the 6,
and write a 6 below the 6 and you get:
       _2__
      3|65
       -6
      -----
        0

Bring down that 5 and ask yourself how many times 3 goes into 5.  Put the
number of times 3 goes into 5 above the 5 next to the 2, and multiply the
number of times by 3 and subtract that from 5.  The number you have left is
called the remainder.  I'll let you finish up the problem from here, but if
you have any questions about what I have said or if you have any other
questions, feel free to write back!

--Sydney, "Dr. Math"

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division