What is 2346 Divided by 56?

Date: 27 Apr 1995 13:16:46 -0400
From: Stephen Sellick
Subject: Division

Dear Dr.Math,

We are studying Division.

                2,346 divided by 56 = ?

Date: 4 May 1995 19:09:59 -0400
From: Dr. Sydney
Subject: Re: Division

Dear Stephen,

Hello!  I'm glad you wrote to Dr. Math!

When you divide numbers, you usually so what is called long division:

Write the numbers like this:
      _____
    56)2346

Then, ask yourself how many times 56 goes into 2... (0 times, right --
56 is bigger than 2).

So, now ask yourself how many times 56 goes into 23 (0 times again --
56 is bigger than 23)

So, now ask yourself how many times does 56 go into 234?  (It turns out here
that 56*4 = 224 and 56*5=280, so 4 is the biggest number we can multiply
56 by 4 and still get a number less than 234) So, 56 goes into 234 4 times.
Write a 4 above the third digit of 2346, and do the long division, so you
get:
  ___4__
56)2346
  -224
  -----
    10

Now bring down the last digit of 2346 (the 6), and ask yourself how many
times 56 goes into 106.  Put that number next to the 4 at the very top, and
then when you subtract 56 times that number from 106, you will be left
with a remainder.  See if you can finish off this problem.  Have fun!

--Sydney, "Dr. Math"

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division