Dividing a Small Number by a Larger Number

Date: 2/6/96 at 10:3:9
From: Philip Lepoidevin
Subject: division

I have 2 more questions!:)

1. 22 divided into 7
2. 2 + 2
thanxs!

Date: 4/29/96 at 20:38:34
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: division

Hi there! You can divide any whole number by any other whole
number--but sometimes you don't get a whole number.

For your first question, we find that we can't divide 22
into 7 even once.  We write it like this:

   _____
22|7

and start doing long division.  If you haven't done long
division yet, you'll need to write us back for a better
explanation or ask someone at home.

    .3
   _____
22|7.0
  -6.6
   ----
    .4

is the first step.

    .318
   ______
22|7.000
  -6.6
  -----
    .40
   -.22
    ----
    .180
   -.176
    ----
    .004

Since we get 4 again as a remainder, we can see that the second
half will keep repeating.

So the answer to this problem looks like .3181818181818 and so
on. Does this make any sense?

2 + 2 = 4. This is easier to see with your fingers or other real objects...

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division