Dividing a Large Number by a Small Number

Date: 3/25/96 at 16:2:57
From: swilson
Subject: math

Dr Math,

How do you divide 7557 by 8?

Date: 3/28/96 at 23:25:26
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: math

Hi there!  You write 7557 divided by 8 like this:

  ______
8|7557

Have you seen that before?

This problem is just like any other division problem, except we repeat
the same steps a few more times.

First we say, how many times does 8 go into 7.  None.  Okay.

Then we say, how many times does 8 go into 75?

Let's guess 9.  We'll write the 9 above the division sign:

  _9_______
8|7557

Now, multiply 9 times 8 to get 72 and subtract that from 75:

 _9_______
8|7557
 -72
  __
   3

Next bring down the 5.

  _9_______
8|7557
 -72
  __
   35

Ask how many times does 8 go into 35, etc.

Do you think you can finish this one on your own?  Write us back if you
want more help.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Division