Dividing Decimal Numbers

Date: 7/26/96 at 22:48:9
From: Dennis Oyler
Subject: Dividing Decimal Numbers

I am having problems learning how to divide decimal numbers. How do I
divide 4.58 into 46.63?

Thank you.

Date: 7/27/96 at 13:20:14
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Dividing Decimal Numbers

You can convert every decimal division problem into a division problem
with integers. Just multiply the dividend and the divisor by the
power of ten, which converts the divisor into an integer.

For your example, 46.68 divided by 4.58 is the same number as 4668
divided by 458.  Both the numbers were multiplied by 100 in order to
convert 4.58 into a whole number.

Hope that this helps.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

Elementary Division